The U.S. Navy Monday said it opened an investigation into a collision between a U.S. guided-missile destroyer and a Japanese merchant vessel.
The collision in the Strait of Hormuz between the USS Porter and the Panamanian-flagged bulk oil tanker M/V Otowasan occurred at 1 a.m. Sunday, a Navy release said.
The strait is at the mouth of the Persian Gulf.
The Porter moved under its own power to Jebel Ali, United Arab Emirates, for assessment and repair, the release said.
The destroyer is on deployment to the U.S. 5th Fleet area for maritime security operations, the Navy said.
Most Popular Stories
- Ex-Mobster to Bulger: Just Say Sorry
- Google Stock Split Ahead
- Guns Are Hot in California
- OSH Selling Most of Its Stores to Lowe's
- El Paso Symposium Offers Help to Startups
- MillerCoors Taps New Hispanic Ad Agency
- Small Businesses Hiring, but Worry About Expense
- First Person Cured of AIDS Virus Wants to Help Others
- Honda Says Sorry About the Lack of Electric Fits
- LULAC Convention Starts With Focus on LGBT Youth