Jamaican sprinting sensation Usain Bolt has another Olympic achievement to add to his three gold medals at this summer's games - he was also the most tweeted about athlete, according to figures released by Twitter.
Overall, the 2012 Olympics generated more than 150 million tweets during the course of the games, with Bolt's victory in the 200m dash generating over 80,000 tweets per minute, just ahead of his 100m win, which prompted 74,000 tweets per minute.
The tennis victory of Britain's Andy Murray was the third-most highly tweeted event, with 57,000 tweets, followed by Jamaica's win in the 4X100m relay (52,000 tweets per minute) and the US basketball victory over Spain, (41,000 tweets per minute.)
However sporting tweets took a back seat to the opening and closing ceremonies, with the appearance of the Spice Girls prompting 116,000 tweets per minute.
Besides Bolt, nine other Olympians garnered more than 1 million tweets:
1. Usain Bolt - Jamaica (@UsainBolt) 2. Michael Phelps - US (@MichaelPhelps) 3. Tom Daley - Britain (@TomDaley1994) 4. Ryan Lochte - US (@ryanlochte) 5. Gabby Douglas - US (@gabrielledoug) 6. Andy Murray - Britain (@andy_murray) 7. Kobe Bryant US (#GetKobeOnTwitter) 8. Yohan Blake - Jamaica (@YohanBlake) 9. Lee Chong Wei - Malaysia (@Lee_C_Wei) 10. LeBron James - US (@KingJames)
Most Popular Stories
- E.U. Puts Sanctions on Russia, Ukraine Officials
- Microsoft Releases Free OneNote for Mac
- Crimea Seeks Financial Integration With Russia
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Jack Daniel's Resists Changes to Tenn. Whiskey Law
- Homebuilders Show Rising Confidence in Market
- Chile Shaken by Major Aftershock
- Obama Imposes Sanctions on Russian Officials
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- 'Walking Dead' Takes a Shocking Turn: Recap