Manhattan Beachwear Inc. in Cypress has acquired the license to market Adidas swimwear in the United States, the two companies have announced.
Manhattan is the largest U.S. manufacturer of women's fashion swimwear. It has a large private label business as well as holds the licenses for such brands as Hobie, Maxine of Hollywood, Ralph Lauren and Kenneth Cole. Its retail customers include Macy's, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom and Saks Inc. Terms of the Adidas deal were not disclosed.
Kara Enger-Marten, Adidas' director for the swimwear business unit, praised Manhattan's swimwear-specific manufacturing, distribution and sourcing. "In partnership with Manhattan Beachwear, we will continue to adapt our swimwear technology and push the boundaries of performance in the sport."
The first Adidas swimwear for men and women under this licensing agreement will be available in retail stores in January, 2013. The Adidas Pool brand will cater to high performance swimmers and team sports dealers and Adidas Beach will cater to the fashion swimwear market.
Manhattan Vice President Kim Wagenaar said, "Adidas is among the most recognizable brands in the world, and this agreement gives Manhattan a fantastic opportunity to leverage that recognition."
Manhattan Beachwear was started more than 25 years ago by Allan Colvin, who licensed the Hobie name for classic swimwear. In 2010, Manhattan acquired Apparel Ventures Inc., a multi-brand international fashion clothing company.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women