MOUNT PROSPECT, IL -- (Marketwire) -- 07/09/12 -- Unsuspecting Americans have suffered health consequences such as strokes, heart attacks, addiction, and even death due to taking drugs purchased from fake online pharmacies. These rogue Internet drug outlets often sell counterfeit drugs containing too much, too little, or the wrong active ingredient, and often these products contain toxins such as glue, chalk, and rat poison. The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy® (NABP®) wants everyone to be aware of how dangerous it can be to order drug products from fake online pharmacies. NABP, through the AWARxE® Consumer Protection Program, also wants to alert consumers to resources for finding the safest Internet pharmacies and for learning about how to avoid unsafe Internet drug outlets.
Thousands of packages containing counterfeit drugs ordered over the Internet continue to be intercepted by United States Customs and Border Protection. And recently, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned consumers about a potentially dangerous counterfeit version of Adderall® tablets being sold on the Internet -- the tablets contained the painkillers tramadol and acetaminophen rather than the active ingredients of the authentic ADHD drug, Adderall. Further, drug products like this are often distributed to consumers who do not have a valid prescription, or who simply complete an online questionnaire. This practice is very dangerous for consumers, leaving them without proper diagnosis and treatment and without medication counseling.
AWARxE encourages consumers to make an informed choice when buying medications online by using resources provided by NABP. As part of its mission to protect the public's health, NABP has reviewed, and continues to review, thousands of Web sites to determine if they maintain safe pharmacy practices. Unfortunately, the majority of Web sites selling prescription drugs do not.
NABP has reviewed more than 9,800 Web sites selling prescription drugs. AWARxE alerts consumers that only 3%, or 328, of these sites appear to be in compliance with state and federal laws and NABP patient safety and pharmacy practice standards. The other 97% of these sites are considered rogue sites and are listed as Not Recommended on the AWARXE Web site, www.AWARErx.org.
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- Bitcoin or Bad Coin? Warnings Mount Against Virtual Currency
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Cheap Gas Drives Down U.S. Wholesale Prices Again
- Expanding Medicaid Creates Jobs: Study
- Robert Levinson Was on CIA Mission
- Producer Price Index Dropped in November
- 'Dreamers' Hope for Permanent Immigration Status
- Beyonce Releases New Album With No Marketing
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash