No significant U.S. hiring gains are expected in July 2012 compared to the same month a year ago, according to a report from the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
The SHRM survey of 500 service-sector companies and 500 manufacturing companies shows that manufacturing-sector hiring will inch up by a net of two points while service-sector hiring will plummet by a net of 17.4 points when comparing July 2012 to July 2011.
"Although the service sector's year-over-year change shows a sharp drop, the manufacturing sector shows a positive, if only slightly better outlook," said Jennifer Schramm, manager of workplace trends and forecasting at SHRM.
Related: Jobless Claims Drop by 14,000
In the manufacturing sector, 44.7 percent of HR professionals said their company plans to hire workers while 8 percent will cut jobs, for a net of 36.7 percent. The remaining 63.3 percent are expected to hold steady with no hiring or layoffs.
In the service sector, 28.8 percent of companies will hire while 4.7 percent will trim payrolls, leaving a net of 24.1 percent. The remaining 75.9 percent report no staffing changes are expected in July.
The findings are detailed in the SHRM Leading Indicators of National Employment (LINER) Report.
Related: 'Made in USA' More Important Than 'Made by US Companies': Car Buyers
The most recent recruiting-difficulty index data -- June 2012 -- show little change on annual basis.
The latest new-hire compensation index data, also for June 2012, remained largely flat. Still, the 4.9-point net increase (annual basis) in manufacturing new-hire compensation marked the highest net in four years for June.
To read the full SHRM LINE Report, visit http://www.shrm.org/line and click the "Latest LINE Report" button.
SHRM represents more than 250,000 HR professionals in over 140 countries. Founded in 1948, SHRM has more than 575 affiliated chapters within the U.S. and subsidiary offices in China and India.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women