WASHINGTON, July 30, 2012 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ -- The National Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators (NHCSL) is proud to announce the launch of the John S. Martinez Leadership Scholarship application and the expansion of its program.
This scholarship initiative is a part of the NHCSL's John S. Martinez Scholarship Fund. The scholarship program serves to honor the memory of the late John S. Martinez, a Hispanic leader who served as a member of the Connecticut House of Representatives. This scholarship is possible through a generous grant from the Comcast Foundation and is part of the NHCSL's efforts to help provide to learning opportunities to Hispanic high school students.
"Simply put, at Comcast, we believe in investing in the leaders of tomorrow and are honored to have a small part in encouraging young Latino leaders from around the country to pursue their interests in public policy. We are very excited about the opportunities we can make available through this partnership with NHCSL and the John S. Martinez Scholarship Fund," said Juan Otero, Comcast's Senior Director and Public Policy Counsel.
"Our children will someday become the leaders of our communities. As a representative and proud mother of three, I know full well that investing in our children is investing in our future," said State Representative Minnie Gonzalez (CT), President of the National Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators. "NHCSL created this scholarship to do our part to help our children achieve their full potential."
This year, the NHCSL has expanded the program to thirty six (36) states, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, where there are Hispanic state legislators. Scholarships will be awarded to a total of eleven (11) Hispanic public high school students. Each student will receive a one-time $3,000.00 grant to use towards their higher education.
NHCSL highly encourages qualified students to log on to our website, http://www.nhcsl.org. The deadline for applications is September 14, 2012.
SOURCE The National Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators (NHCSL)
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women