Today, director Peter Jackson via his Facebook page announced that "The Hobbit" films will be a trilogy.
The first of the films, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" will be released Dec. 14, and the second a year from then. The third, according to Variety.com, will be released in summer 2014.
Here is what Jackson said about his film and the decision to make "The Hobbit" a trilogy"
"It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved 'yes.'
Jackson continued, with a perfect quote:
"It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, 'a tale that grew in the telling.'"
Watch the official trailer to "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" below.
Most Popular Stories
- Congress Passes Law Promoting Transparency Reconstruction of Haiti
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv