Michael Phelps will not swim the 200-meter freestyle in London. His coach, Bob Bowman, announced on Twitter that Phelps would scratch the event.
"This change will allow him to focus more energy on relays for Team USA," Bowman said.
Phelps won a record eight gold medals in Beijing. He had qualified in the same eight events at this year's Olympic Trials, winning the 100 fly, 200 IM, 200 free and 200 fly, while finishing second to Ryan Lochte in the 400 IM. He also will swim on all three relays.
Lochte and Missy Franklin also will swim seven events in London.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Apple Said to Duck Billions in Taxes
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion