The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) recognized New York fashion designer Marisol Deluna on June 29 at its 83rd Annual National Convention & Exposition in Orlando, Fla.
National LULAC President Margaret Moran awarded Deluna the organization's prestigious Presidential Commendation Medal for her 23 years in fashion and the example she sets for youth.
"To be recognized by LULAC is an incredibly humbling honor," Deluna said. "I am fortunate to support its mission through fashion and mentorship. It is a privilege for each of us to share knowledge selflessly and partake in charitable endeavors whenever possible."
President Moran added, "Through her achievements as a beautiful Latina woman, she lets young women know that they can do it too."
Related: PepsiCo's de la Cruz Shares LULAC Conference Experience
The evening's host, actor Tony Plana, perhaps best known for his role on "Ugly Betty," noted about his friend: "Marisol balances her creativity with the art of mentoring others."
Deluna designed LULAC's official scarf, neckerchief and tie for the Women's Commission to raise funds and awareness for the organization. These designs were recently included in the Marisol Deluna New York 15th Anniversary Fashion Show held in New York City.
Marisol wore the scarf redesigned as an elegant floor-length skirt at the award ceremony.
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly
- Eid al-Fitr Celebrations Mark End of Ramadan
- Oppression of Women Cripples Africa: Obama
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply
- Anarchy, Chaos Sweep Across Libya