Dara Torres, the daughter of Edward Torres, a Cuban-born casino owner, and former model Marylu Kauder, is an American international swimmer and a 12-time Olympic medalist.
She is the first U.S. swimmer to compete in five Olympic Games -- 1984, 1988, 1992, 2000 and 2008.
Currently she is age 45, but at 41, she became the oldest swimmer ever to earn a place on the U.S. Olympic team at the 2008 Summer Olympics where she competed in the 50-meter freestyle, the 4x100-meter medley relay and the 4x100-meter freestyle relay, and won silver medals in all three events.
Torres' 12 Olympic medals are four gold, four silver and four bronze. She won five of the medals in the 2000 Summer Olympics. She is tied with Jenny Thompson for the most medals won by a U.S. female swimmer, according to the Los Angeles Times.
During her competition in Omaha on Monday, Torres finished fourth in the 50-meter freestyle with a time of 24.82. Soon after, the athlete announced her retirement, reports the L.A. Times.
"Well, I gave it everything I've got & left no stones unturned. Time to cheer on all the amazing USA swimmers heading to London! #soproud," she tweeted yesterday.
And today, her positive spirits continue: "I guess it's time to figure out what I wanna do when I grow up!" she wrote on her Twitter account.
Torres was born in Beverly Hills, Calif., and grew up in Los Angeles. She is the fifth of six children and the older of two girls. At age 7, Torres started following her brothers to swim practice at the local YMCA, and later joined the Culver City swim team. She attended the Westlake School for Girls (now Harvard-Westlake School), and swam for the Westlake swim team under coach Darlene Bible, where she set California Interscholastic Federation records that remain to this day.
Watch this video below about Torres by the Associated Press. The video is about Torres making Olympic history by becoming the oldest woman ever to compete in Olympic swimming after finishing first in the 100-meter freestyle event at the Omaha trials.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women