July 27--Longtime Chick-fil-A public relations head Don Perry has died.
The Atlanta-based company said that Perry, who was vice president of public relations, died suddenly early Friday morning.
"Don was a member of our Chick-fil-A family for nearly 29 years," the company said in a statement. "For many of you in the media, he was the spokesperson for Chick-fil-A. He was a well-respected and well-liked media executive in the Atlanta and University of Georgia communities, and we will all miss him.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family," the company continued.
No cause of death was given, but reports said that Perry had suffered a heart attack.
Chick-fil-A has found itself embroiled in a firestorm over remarks made by company president Dan Cathy earlier this month. Cathy told an online publication that he supports "the biblical definition of the family unit," which many, especially those in the community, regard as opposing gay marriage.
That has led to both disapproval and praise for Cathy's stance. Supporters have planned an "Appreciation Day" for Aug. 1 while opponents plan a "Kiss-in" two days later.
(c)2012 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Atlanta, Ga.)
Visit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Atlanta, Ga.) at www.ajc.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women