The actress best known for playing Selena's shooter, Lupe Ontiveros, died July 26 at age 69.
Ontiveros was born in El Paso, Texas, to middle-class Mexican immigrants who were owners of a tortilla factory and two restaurants.
She acted on numerous films and television shows, oftentimes playing a maid. In fact, her IMDB profile lists her first acting gig as a maid on 1976 "Charlie's Angels (TV series): The Killing Kind."
Ontiveros estimated that she played a maid between 150 and 300 times on screen. She left a great impression playing that stereotypical role in "Goonies" where she had memorable scenes with Corey Feldman and the rest of the kid actors playing Rosalita. (Watch below)
CNN reached out to other Latina actresses, including Jennifer Lopez who played Selena in the iconic movie that made Lopez a star:
"I am tremendously saddened by the news of Lupe's passing! I've enjoyed her work throughout the years. She was a great actress and working with her in 'Selena' was an unforgettable experience. She will truly be missed"" Lopez said.
Univision writer Amaris Castillo wrote this obituary about Ontiveros, where she pointed out the actress' contribution to the Hispanic community, including working as a social worker for almost two decades and as a spokesperson for the Latino Commission on AIDS for 10 years.
Most Popular Stories
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Senate Dems Pull All-Nighter on Global Warming
- Senators Reach Deal on Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac
- GM Recall Poses First Major Test for New CEO
- El Empleo Rebota: La Columna Cohen
- Dianne Feinstein Accuses CIA of Spying on Congress
- Swedish Journalist Nils Horner Shot Dead in Kabul
- Deborah Hersman Quits NTSB
- Job Openings Less Than Expected in January
- Bob Crow Remembered as Shrewd Champion of Union Workers