1. Seafood Watch
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch app is a user-friendly guide to sustainable seafood choices specific to your region. It also includes a useful sushi guide for making more eco-friendly choices. You can sort your seafood list by "best choice," "good alternative," or "avoid" rankings. Plus, you can add names of restaurants and stores where you've found sustainable seafood.
2. iRecycle Recycling Guide
Earth911's earth911.com/iphone/ iRecycle app helps you find a recycling facility no matter where you are or what you're looking to recycle. Just type in the name of the item such as "cookware" or "plastic bags" and you get a list of recyclers near you. Not only will you find out where to take your items you will also get easy access to the collection site's phone number, website, hours of operation, and so much more.
3. Dirty Dozen: Shopper's Guide to Pesticides
Environmental Working Group
The Dirty Dozen app is a simple guide to shopping for fresh, organic produce. The guide lists a dozen fruits and vegetables that contain the highest levels of pesticides. It also lists the cleanest 15 conventionally grown fruits and vegetables. This is the perfect app to help you stretch your organic budget.
4. Happy Cow
The HappyCow app is a searchable directory for vegetarian-friendly restaurants and stores in your area. There is an interactive map to help you filter by location, vegan, vegetarian, or health food stores. You can easily access directions, phone numbers, and websites. Plus, the app makes it super simple to share your finds with friends on Facebook, Twitter, instant messaging, and email.
5. EWG Sunscreen Guide
Environmental Working Group
This popular sunscreen guide from the Environmental Working Group provides detailed information on sunscreen ingredients and the hazards that some pose to people and the environment. You can look up sunscreens by name to make it easy on you while you're in the sunscreen aisle. Best of all, there is a simple color-coded system to see exactly what your best bets are.
No matter how busy you may be, there are always ways to be green on the go. Do Your Part and let your smartphone do the dirty work for you. Happy apping!
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women