The El Floridita bar in Havana celebrated legendary
US writer Ernest Hemingway's 113th birthday Saturday with super-sized
Hemingway spent many years in Cuba and was a regular customer at the bar located in Havana's old town. According to legend, his drink of choice was a daiquiri without sugar.
To celebrate the birth of the Nobel Prize-winning author, El Floridita's proprietors mixed a drink that it hopes will land them in the Guinness Book of World Records.
Twenty bartenders combined 88 bottles of white rum, crushed ice and lemons to create a 275-litre (75-gallon) cocktail. More than 1,000 drinks are expected to be distributed from a receptacle measuring 1.95 metres (6 feet) high.
Most Popular Stories
- Airport Garners Social Media Award
- Social Media Campaign Increases Organ Donor Registrations
- World Bank: Rich Countries Must Curb Emissions
- Intel Working on Smartwatch; Mum on Possible Apple Link
- Using Acids to Unlock Shale Oil OK, Regulator Says
- Patriots' Aaron Hernandez Questioned in Slaying
- Fed Will Keep Buying Bonds for Now; Markets Dip
- Banks Don't Follow Rules in Mortgage Settlement
- NHU, Canada College Partner on B.A. in Child Development
- Tea Party Wants to 'Audit the IRS'