Carlos Augusto Alves Santana turns 65 today.
Blessed as one of rock 'n' roll's most popular guitarists, the Mexican-American musician was named to Rolling Stone Magazine's 100 greatest guitarists of all time list in 2003. He came in at No. 15.
Born in Autlán de Navarro, Jalisco, Mexico, he became a naturalized American citizen in 1965.
He learned to play the violin at the tender age of 5 and the guitar at age 8. He has won 10 Grammy Awards and three Latin Grammy Awards, and still tours around the world.
In the months of September and November, he will be playing as the resident band in Las Vegas at the House of Blues in the Mandalay Bay hotel.
Here are some great Santana quotes to give you a perspective of the 65-year-old's spirit:
"First of all, the music that people call Latin or Spanish is really African. So black people need to get the credit for that."
"One day there will be no borders, no boundaries, no flags and no countries and the only passport will be the heart."
"I'm laughing because I know the secret of life. And the secret of life is that I have validated my existence. I know that I am worth more than my house, my bank account, or any physical thing."
"It's time for people to realize that we are all mixed up inside. That is why there is so much diversity on my records. I can relate to so many cultures and I want that to be reflected in my music."
"My job in this life is to give people spiritual ecstasy through music. In my concerts people cry, laugh, dance. If they climaxed spiritually, I did my job. I did it decently and honestly."
Enjoy Carlos Santana playing live:
Most Popular Stories
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- Is North Korea's Kim Jong Ill?
- International Coffee Day Means Free Coffee at Dunkin' Donuts, Krispy Kreme, McDonalds
- Pending U.S. Home Sales Slid in August
- Jerry Brown Signs 'Yes Means Yes' Law
- Drunk Driver Rear Ends Jennifer Lopez, Leah Remini's Car
- George Clooney Says 'I Do' For a Second Time
- GoPro Launching Three New Cameras
- Macy's Boosts Holiday Hiring 3.6 Percent