Buffalo is abuzz with rumors that Tom Cruise in town today as the local Church of Scientology makes preparations for what appears to be a gala celebration.
A woman who identified herself as a public relations representative of the church's headquarters told The Buffalo News that the blockbuster movie star, who announced Friday he is getting divorced from Katie Holmes, was not in Buffalo.
But a neighbor told The Buffalo News he saw the world famous actor getting out of a limousine Friday afternoon by the church, located at Main Street and Virginia. Cruise is an adherent to the Church of Scientology and has defended it many times.
There are other signs that someone or something special is going on at the church, which is gearing up for a massive celebration -- a rededication.
Several blocks of Main Street are blocked off from Allen Street down to Goodell Street, and on Virginia Street from Washington Street to Delaware Avenue. The streets are scheduled to be closed until 9 p.m. today. There is a heavy presence of private security and a dog with handler was sniffing the perimeter of the Scientology church and nearby area.
On Main Street in front of the church, a brightly lit stage was set up with hundreds of chairs in front. Rented pine trees were placed along the perimeter of the stage and audience and hydraulic lifts were positioned across the street from the stage with movie cameras and lights.
People were seen filing into the church wearing tuxedo coats and vests.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women