While millions of viewers will be tuned to their TVs for the 2012 Olympic Games, one local blogger will share his experiences from London.
Destin resident Julio Fernandez received a tweet last week informing him that he was one of the winners in the Samsung Global Blogger competition. He will be at the Olympics when soccer competition begins Tuesday.
View video below »
"I've always been a fan of the Olympics and other sports ... but I've never been to the Olympics," Fernandez said. "It's still hard to believe I'm going."
Fernandez, an online marketer and social media enthusiast, submitted a video to Samsung about how he would share the Olympic experience. In it, he featured photos he took in May posing in front of Olympic Stadium and discussed how far his social media voice reaches.
Kimberly Hill, brand marketing director with Samsung, said Fernandez's video "stood out" among the thousands of entries submitted. She said he is one of four bloggers representing the United States for Samsung.
"Mr. Fernandez's video showed that he has really been a pioneer with social media," Hill said. "We chose him because of the passion he showed in terms of creating content and working in a selected space.
"Ultimately, the Samsung Global Blogger program allows individuals from all over the world get the experience with the game using content skills. (Fernandez) really stood out to us, and we believe he will be able to share his experience with the world."
Fernandez will be among 74 other bloggers from across the globe working for Samsung. Each day, they will be paired up and assigned their event, he said. The best coverage of the day will be published.
"I think this is a great way to force all of the bloggers to do the best they can," Fernandez said. "The bloggers I am with will be there until Aug. 3 for the first half of the Olympics, and then they're bringing in another group of bloggers to cover the end."
Fernandez will use Samsung's newest phone, the Galaxy S3. He said people can keep up with his Olympic Games journey through his Twitter account @SocialJulio. Samsung will also be posting content on its blog website, www.samsungglobalblogger.com.
Along with watching, taking photos and writing about the events, Fernandez will meet Samsung spokesmen David Beckham and Jamie Oliver.
"I'm looking forward to meeting them both, but I am really looking forward to meeting Beckham's wife," he said.
Fernandez said he spoke with Samsung officials Monday about his duties during the games.
"I'll be using a little bit of everything during the Olympics," he said. "It's amazing. I was in London in May for my anniversary and took the train to the Olympic Park, since I knew I wasn't going to be able to come. Now, I'll actually be there.
"This is an amazing opportunity."
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column