Former International Monetary Fund (IMF) chief
Dominique Strauss-Kahn and his wife Anne Sinclair announced plans
Friday to sue a French magazine for invasion of privacy over a report
that they had separated.
Closer, a celebrity gossip magazine, reported Friday that Sinclair, a journalist, had asked Strauss-Kahn to leave their central Paris home about a month ago.
"She believed right up to the end, but today, it's all over between them," Closer wrote.
Strauss-Kahn was "shattered" and "depressed" by the break-up, according to the report, which was widely circulated by other French media.
In a statement issued through their lawyers, the couple said they planned to take legal action against Closer, AFP reported. They did not comment on the substance of the report, which comes more than a year after Strauss-Kahn, also 63, was arrested in New York on charges of attempting to rape a hotel maid.
The scandal saw him forced to resign his position at the IMF and buried his ambition of running for French president.
Although US prosecutors later dropped the criminal charges, the Sofitel affair, as it was known, triggered a flurry of allegations against Strauss-Kahn that have kept him in the headlines ever since.
The former finance minister is under formal investigation for involvement in a French-based prostitution ring. Meanwhile, in New York, maid Nafissatou Diallo has begun civil proceedings against him.
Sinclair stood by him throughout the past year, winning mixed scorn and admiration for her forbearance.
In recent months, the former TV presenter has focused on furthering her own career, which she had put on hold for his political ambitions.
Since January, she has been editing the French version of the Huffington Post news site.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women