Fourth of July fireworks displays in Farmington, N.M., will go off as usual, but local firefighters and police said they would be patrolling for unsafe fire behavior.
Popular fireworks displays in southwest Colorado were canceled Wednesday because of the raging wildfires threatening thousands of homes and structures throughout the state.
Farmington's fireworks show, which is July 3 as part of Freedom Days, is expected to go on as scheduled, said Scott Rounds, the administrator of fire support services for Farmington.
The fireworks will start around 9:25 p.m. from Sullivan Hill. Onlookers can watch the show from Farmington Museum at Gateway Park.
Rounds said Farmington firefighters will be in attendance at the fireworks show in case there is an emergency.
Tommy Bolack, who hosts a fireworks show July 4, also is expected to host the show on his ranch in south Farmington, said Chris Cardin, the San Juan County fire marshal.
Cardin said the county fire department will likely have a strong presence at Bolack's ranch during the fireworks show, though event plans have not been finalized.
Aztec Speedway will cancel its fireworks display as it did last year because of dry conditions, said Mike Tenski, the manager of the race track.
The city of Durango, Colo., will not be hosting a fireworks show, nor will the town of Silverton, Colo., according to press releases.
"We do not want to send a mixed message to the community," Durango City Manager Ron LeBlanc
said in a prepared statement. "The governor and local fire officials are trying to inform the public regarding the imminent fire danger. The city's decision is consistent with those efforts."
Rounds said Farmington firefighters are teaming with police to patrol areas for people at risk for starting fires and respond to emergency fire calls.
"It's an extra set of eyes to keep the community safe," Rounds said. "The Fourth of July is a holiday that people enjoy, and we want to keep people safe in this dry, dry weather."
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women