A 79-year-old Florida woman was displaced when a sinkhole swallowed more than 50 percent of her home, authorities in Hudson, Fla., said.
Susan Minutillo left her home Wednesday as a crew surveyed her land for possible sinkholes. When she returned half an hour later, more than half of her home had collapsed, the Tampa Bay (Fla.) Times reported.
"I never thought this would happen to me," she said from a neighbor's home. "I don't know where I'll go now."
County officials condemned her house, saying it's possible she'll never be able to enter her home again. Fire officials had been able to retrieve her cell phone charger and medication, but Minutillo was not allowed to re-enter the building.
Officials told a family in a neighboring house to leave their home and a further investigation into how large the sinkhole is could lead to more evacuations, the Times reported.
Most Popular Stories
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows