Jerry Sandusky's 33-year-old son Matt said Thursday, he too, was abused by his father, the former Pennsylvania State University assistant football coach.
His announcement -- made through a statement issued by his attorney Andrew Shubin -- came hours after a Centre County jury began deliberating his father's fate on 48 counts of child sex abuse involving 10 other alleged victims.
In his statement, Shubin said Matt Sandusky approached him during his adopted father's trial and was prepared to testify as a prosecution witness if called.
The lawyer said the experience has been "extremely painful" for his client and that there would be no further comment. He asked reporters to respect Matt Sandusky's privacy.
Shubin also represents two victims whose accusations against Jerry Sandusky are part of the ongoing criminal case.
Since his father's arrest last year, signs of a rocky relationship have emerged between Matt and Jerry Sandusky. His biological mother, Debra Long, has said that she believed the former coach stole her son from her and reported "strange behavior."
Last year, Matt Sandusky's ex-wife sought to have Jerry Sandusky barred from visitation rights with her children until his trial concluded. Many of the case's proceedings were sealed.
And in court last week, one of Jerry Sandusky's accusers testified that Matt Sandusky once saw him showering with his father.
The man identified in court documents as Victim 4 told jurors that the three were playing racquetball one day and began showering together at a Penn State facility. Victim 4 said that once Jerry Sandusky began trying to blow soap on him, Matt Sandusky shook his head and left the shower stall.
Matt is one of the Sandusky family's six grown adopted children.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women