CrossFit Beckley recently raised over $11,000 for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, exceeding its original goal by over $6,000.
Over 900 CrossFit gyms across the country set June 9 aside for the charity event fundraiser in hopes of raising $1.7 million to find cures for children with cancer and other deadly diseases.
Owner David Chinn said the Beckley location placed 16th out of over 900 gyms for their fundraising effort.
"It was the first time we've ever done it and we're pretty proud."
Chinn said he originally set a goal of raising $5,000, asking each of the 40 athletes who participated to find 10 sponsors to donate $10.
Many local businesses joined their fundraising efforts, Chinn said, and supported the athletes by sponsoring them per repetition they completed.
"Pasquale's sponsored my wife at $1 per rep. She did 240 reps, so they donated $240."
Chinn said he plans on participating with this annual fundraiser again next year.
CrossFit Beckley is located at 122 Appalachian Drive, where Chinn says, "These workouts help athletes to do the common uncommonly well."
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women