Hollywood's DreamWorks Animation says actor Jim Parsons and pop star Rihanna are to voice the lead roles in "Happy Smekday!"
The feature adaptation of the book "The True Meaning of Smekday" by Adam Rex is set for theatrical release in late 2014.
Tim Johnson, whose credits include "Over the Hedge" and "Antz," is directing the movie.
"Adam's hilarious book is the perfect recipe for a compelling animated feature and we are ecstatic that Jim Parsons and Rihanna will contribute their immense talents to the production," Bill Damaschke, DreamWorks Animation's chief creative officer, said in a statement Wednesday. "We're also thrilled that Tim Johnson is back to direct another DreamWorks Animation feature film and show the world just how fun an alien invasion can be."
"When I read Adam Rex's remarkable book, I knew it would make an amazing film. I can't wait to introduce audiences to the unique world and characters of 'Happy Smekday!'" Johnson said.
In "Happy Smekday!" an alien race invades Earth and uses it as a hideout from their mortal enemy. When one lowly alien accidentally notifies the enemy of his whereabouts, he is forced to go on the run with a teenage girl. The two become unlikely buddies and embark on a comical globe-trotting adventure to right his wrongs, in which the alien hero learns what it really means to be human, a synopsis said.
Most Popular Stories
- Consumer Spending Will Offset Sequester: Economists
- Hispanic Grads Pass Their Peers in College Enrollment
- AT&T Seeks to Fill 120 Jobs in South Carolina
- Gas Prices Expected to Stay High
- California Considers Oil Tax to Fund Schools
- Dude! California Beach Parking Plan Making Waves
- Ford's Supplier Diversity Program Turns 35
- Yahoo to Pay $1.1 Billion for Tumblr
- Boise Terror Suspect Pleads Not Guilty
- NTSB Wants to Lower Blood Alcohol Limit to 0.05