Thailand's Ministry of Culture filed a complaint
to the police Friday against Lady Gaga, for using the Thai flag
during a skimpily-clad performance last month, media reported.
Gaga, who performed in the Thai capital on May 19 as part of her Asian tour, initially offended many Thais by writing on Twitter that she planned to buy a fake Rolex watch in Bangkok's notorious night markets upon her arrival.
Belatedly, the Ministry of Culture has now filed the complaint over her use of the Thai flag as a prop during a performance in which she wore a skimpy outfit and straddled a motorcycle.
A ministry official told the Bangkok Post newspaper that using the national flag was "inappropriate and hurt Thai people's feelings."
However the ministry did not ask the police to prosecute Gaga, the newspaper wrote online.
The Thai flag consists of three colours - red for the nation, blue for the monarchy and white for religion.
Thailand has a tough lese-majesty law, making it a criminal offence to insult the king, queen or heir apparent, punishable up to 15 years in prison.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column