Today, the Obama administration announced that it will begin to grant work permits to undocumented youth between the ages of 15-30 who were brought to the United States as small children and who have been raised and educated here. The Obama Administration answered the prayers of families across the nation by implementing a long awaited change to the current immigration policy.
"The dream of immigrants who come to this country is that with hard work you can bet on yourself to realize your dreams," stated LULAC National President Margaret Moran. "But, opponents of immigration reform have shamefully tried to change the face of immigration into something it's not. This country at its best is a place where a young person doesn't think twice about betting their success by investing in their education; and where undocumented young people who have stayed out of trouble and focused on school can now plan their future. With this decision the Obama Administration demonstrated their support in investing in their future as well."
The relief would be granted to undocumented youth who have grown up in the United States and came here under the age of 16; are currently in school, have graduated from high school or obtained a GED, or are honorably discharged veterans from the Coast Guard or the Armed Forces; and have not been convicted of a felony offense, multiple misdemeanors, or a significant misdemeanor offense. Deportation cases that are pending will have to prove their eligibility for a reprieve to ICE, which will begin dealing with such cases in 60 days.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Islamic Militant in James Foley Beheading Video May Be English
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Democrats' Control of Senate Could Depend on Women