Gold prices closed higher on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange Thursday, adding $6 to settle at $1,625.40 per troy ounce.
Silver shed 34 cents to close at $28.60 per troy ounce.
The dollar was lower across Europe and most of Asia with the dollar index off 0.4 percent to 81.81 on the International Exchange.
The euro rose to $1.2632 from Wednesday's $1.2557. Against the yen, the dollar fell to 79.36 yen from 79.48 yen.
The British pound was $1.5562 from $1.5505 Tuesday. The dollar was trading at 1.0227 Canadian dollars from 1.0301 Canadian.
Most Popular Stories
- Ex-Mobster to Bulger: Just Say Sorry
- Google Stock Split Ahead
- Guns Are Hot in California
- El Paso Symposium Offers Help to Startups
- Small Businesses Hiring, but Worry About Expense
- OSH Selling Most of Its Stores to Lowe's
- MillerCoors Taps New Hispanic Ad Agency
- First Person Cured of AIDS Virus Wants to Help Others
- Home Lending Offices Not Seeing Effects of Pickup
- LULAC Convention Starts With Focus on LGBT Youth