The fourth annual Southwest Explosion 4 brought amateur boxers from the ages of 9 to 25, male and female, around New Mexico and west Texas to compete Saturday against the Las Cruces Police Athletic League boxers.
The event took place at the Sammy Burke Youth Boxing Center in Las Cruces, home to the Las Cruces PAL Boxing Club, a program that takes at-risk youth off the streets and teaches them discipline through boxing.
All proceeds went to the Las Cruces PAL Boxing Club. Las Cruces PAL will donate $1 out of every $10 collected from entry fees to the State Local Boxing Committee for future state qualifying events. To view more photos of the event go to Facebook.com/LCPAL.
The following are the results from Saturday night:
Harlon Gilbert, 9 of Las Cruces PAL, decision over Jose Luis Montoya, 9 of Old School Boxing (Deming)
Jesse Gonzales, 13, of The Rocks (Ruidoso), decision over Isiah Castillo, 14 of the Lubbock Warriors
Frankie Lucero, 11 of Old School Boxing (Deming), decision over Trevor Avila, 11, of Next Level Boxing (El Paso).
Miguel Burumen, 16 of Sunland Park Boxing Club, stops Lorenzo Benavidez of Team Mirabal (Albuquerque).
Santiago Giron, 11 of Power & Glory Gym (Albuquerque) decision over Alijah Viramontes, 12 of Lubbock Warriors.
Edwin Acosta, 17 of Las Cruces PAL, decision over Uriel Juarez, 16 of Next Level Boxing A (El Paso).
Michael Delahoussaye, 18 of Las Cruces PAL stops Christopher Munoz,
19 of Sunland Park Boxing Club.
Mariah Leon, 15 of Lubbock Warriors, decision over Jordanne Garcia, 14 of Power & Glory (Albuquerque).
Juan Jimenez, 25 of Las Cruces PAL, wins in a walkover.
Jesus Pacheco, 20 of Perez Boxing (Albuquerque), decision over Edmundo Guzman, 17, of Las Cruces PAL.
Most Popular Stories
- High-Tech Home Theaters Undergoing a Revolution
- Nestle, Superior Grocers Promote Healthy Meals
- Bernanke Wishes He'd Explained the Crisis Better
- Hollywood Bets Big Again on Summer Movies
- Ellen DeGeneres Producing HGTV Series
- Stocks See 6th Gain in a Row on Solid Earnings
- China Slows Down: The Cohen Column
- EPA Eases Back on Biofuels Mandate
- Biden Leaves Ukraine as Russian Invasion Threat Rises
- IRS Awards Bonuses to Employees Who Owe Back Taxes