Samsung has unveiled its latest challenger to the iPhone, the Galaxy S III, in London, saying the item won't reach U.S. consumers until the summer.
The phone runs on Google Inc.'s Android software and comes with a faster chip, a quad-core processor developed by Samsung to allow users to watch video and send and receive test messages at the same time, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.
It isn't known which U.S. carriers will offer the phone when it arrives, but the previous Galaxy model was available through all four carriers -- AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile.
The Galaxy S II features a 4.8-inch screen, larger than both the iPhone's 3.5-inch screen and the previous Galaxy S's 4.3-inch screen.
Analysts said the phone is a significant release for Samsung, though it may not topple the iPhone from its market position.
"The S III is an evolution but not a revolution," Neil Mawston of Strategy Analytics said. "It's an improvement but it's not a game changer nor an iPhone killer.
"Samsung's strategy is to offer good hardware at a cheaper price so it'll give Apple some pause for thought," he said. "It could put some pressure on Apple to develop a vastly improved iPhone 5."
Most Popular Stories
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- The News & Advance, Lynchburg, Va., Casey Gillis column
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox