The life of artist and social activist Keith Haring, born in Reading on this date in 1958 and raised in Kutztown, is being celebrated today by Internet search giant , which frequently honors birthdays with a Google Doodle.
Six of Haring's iconically kinetic characters are featured on Google's homepage.
At age 19, Haring moved to New York City, where he studied at the School of Visual Arts and was was inspired by graffiti art. He achieved his first public attention with chalk drawings in the city's subway system.
Haring, who died Feb. 16, 1990, would have been 54 today.
Google Doodles have been produced for the birthdays of several noted artists and scientists, including Andy Warhol, Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Louis Braille, Edvard Munch, Nikola Tesla, John Lennon, Michael Jackson, H.G. Wells, Freddie Mercury, Samuel Morse and Jules Verne.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women