Just in time for your Cinco de Mayo celebration tomorrow, enjoy these easy, quick and yummy recipes. Aren't you happy Cinco de Mayo fell on a Saturday this year? You have all of Sunday to recover.
Mushroom, Chard and Caramelized Onion Tacos
A hearty combination of mushrooms, greens, onions and beans makes a tasty filling for corn tortillas.
2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium tamari
8 ounces sliced button or cremini mushrooms
1 bunch chard, stems and leaves thinly sliced, reserved separately
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 large tomato or red bell pepper, chopped
8 corn tortillas, warmed
Heat 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook about 8 minutes or until beginning to soften and brown, stirring occasionally. Add tamari, mushrooms and chard stems and reduce heat to medium. Cover and continue to cook about 15 minutes or until onions are soft and browned and mushrooms are tender, stirring frequently. Add 1 or 2 more tablespoons water if onions begin to stick. Stir in chard leaves and beans, cover and cook 5 minutes or until leaves wilt. Serve in tortillas topped with tomatoes or red bell pepper.
Per serving: 270 calories (15 from fat), 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 55g total carbohydrate (12g dietary fiber, 10g sugar), 12g protein
The above is from Whole Foods.
Cottage Cheese Enchilades
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - boiled and shredded
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups cottage cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
1. To Make Meat Mixture: Heat oil in medium skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, onion and green chile peppers and saute until browned, then add taco seasoning and prepare meat mixture according to package directions.
2. To Make Cheese Mixture: In a medium bowl mix sour cream with cottage cheese and season with salt and pepper; stir until well blended.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. To Assemble Enchiladas: Heat tortillas until soft. In each tortilla place a spoonful of meat mixture, a spoonful of cheese mixture and a bit of shredded cheese. Roll tortillas and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with any remaining meat and cheese mixture, enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
The above is from All Recipes.com.
Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women