On Tuesday, Starbucks Corporation (SBUX) announced its latest board member: former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates. Gates, who served as U.S. Secretary of Defense under Presidents Bush and Obama, is currently the chancellor of the College of William & Mary. He will searve on the Starbucks Board's Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee.
Howard Schultz, Starbucks' chairman, president, and CEO, said: "We are honored and humbled to be adding this distinguished American leader to Starbucks' Board of Directors. ... His unique global perspective and more than four decades of distinguished public service will complement and strengthen our Board as we accelerate our global growth and expand our commitment to the communities where we do business all around the world."
About his appointment, Secretary Gates said: "I am deeply honored to have been asked to join Starbucks Board of Directors. Starbucks is a different kind of company that is recognized around the world not only for its innovative products, customer service and business success, but more importantly for its unwavering commitment to a core set of values that put people and community first. I have Starbucks to thank for keeping me caffeinated through many long days and nights during my years in Washington and couldn't be more proud about the opportunity to play a part in helping the company navigate our increasingly complex world in the years ahead."
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Sales Show Samsung Needs Next Big Thing
- IBM Investing $3 Billion in Chip Research
- Boehner Says No to Palin's Call for Impeachment
- Emmys: The List of Nominees
- Average 30-Year Mortgage Rate Rises to 4.15 Percent
- Kerry Calls for Calm in Gaza
- U.S. Wholesalers Cut Stockpiles as Sales Weaken
- N.D. Pipeline Cleanup Could Take Weeks
- UAW Will Take Another Swing at VW Chattanooga