On Tuesday, Starbucks Corporation (SBUX) announced its latest board member: former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates. Gates, who served as U.S. Secretary of Defense under Presidents Bush and Obama, is currently the chancellor of the College of William & Mary. He will searve on the Starbucks Board's Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee.
Howard Schultz, Starbucks' chairman, president, and CEO, said: "We are honored and humbled to be adding this distinguished American leader to Starbucks' Board of Directors. ... His unique global perspective and more than four decades of distinguished public service will complement and strengthen our Board as we accelerate our global growth and expand our commitment to the communities where we do business all around the world."
About his appointment, Secretary Gates said: "I am deeply honored to have been asked to join Starbucks Board of Directors. Starbucks is a different kind of company that is recognized around the world not only for its innovative products, customer service and business success, but more importantly for its unwavering commitment to a core set of values that put people and community first. I have Starbucks to thank for keeping me caffeinated through many long days and nights during my years in Washington and couldn't be more proud about the opportunity to play a part in helping the company navigate our increasingly complex world in the years ahead."
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Construction Spending Staged Strong Rebound in July
- Celebrities Vow Revenge on Hackers Who Posted Photos