Joshua Ledet was eliminated from "American Idol," leaving Phillip Phillips and Jessica Sanchez to compete on next week's finale.
The Hollywood Reporter said Ledet, a 20-year-old Louisiana resident, received the smallest share of the 90 million votes cast for Thursday's results show.
Judges Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler were in tears as Ledet performed James Brown's "It's a Man's Man's World" after learning his fate, the entertainment industry trade newspaper said.
"I felt good about the whole situation, but when people come up to you and try to comfort you and hug you, then the tears start coming, and then a whole bunch of other stuff," People.com quoted Ledet as saying. "So just getting their support, it kind of took over, and I kind of lost it a little."
Ledet went on to say he is thrilled for Phillips and Sanchez, and admitted he is also a little relieved the competition is over for him.
"I was super excited for Phillip and Jessica," he said. "I was trying to hold a smile up, and I was definitely not upset. I felt relieved. A lot of pressure was off of me, and I feel really good."
Thursday's program featured performances by Lisa Marie Presley and "Idol" alum Adam Lambert.
Randy Jackson is the show's third judge and Ryan Seacrest is its host.
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Nelson Mandela Dies After Momentous Life
- Nelson Mandela Dead at 95
- W.H. Corrects Itself on Unclegate
- Pope Francis Says He'll Fight Child Sex Abuse
- Yemen Attack Kills 52
- Fast-Food Workers Want $15 an Hour
- Roybal-Allard Tours Gordon Brush Plant
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs