Joshua Ledet was eliminated from "American Idol," leaving Phillip Phillips and Jessica Sanchez to compete on next week's finale.
The Hollywood Reporter said Ledet, a 20-year-old Louisiana resident, received the smallest share of the 90 million votes cast for Thursday's results show.
Judges Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler were in tears as Ledet performed James Brown's "It's a Man's Man's World" after learning his fate, the entertainment industry trade newspaper said.
"I felt good about the whole situation, but when people come up to you and try to comfort you and hug you, then the tears start coming, and then a whole bunch of other stuff," People.com quoted Ledet as saying. "So just getting their support, it kind of took over, and I kind of lost it a little."
Ledet went on to say he is thrilled for Phillips and Sanchez, and admitted he is also a little relieved the competition is over for him.
"I was super excited for Phillip and Jessica," he said. "I was trying to hold a smile up, and I was definitely not upset. I felt relieved. A lot of pressure was off of me, and I feel really good."
Thursday's program featured performances by Lisa Marie Presley and "Idol" alum Adam Lambert.
Randy Jackson is the show's third judge and Ryan Seacrest is its host.
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- LivePro Is a Mobile Hot Spot, Projector in One
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- U.S. Economy Grows at Fastest Pace in 10 Years
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention