Vikki Vargas, NBC4 Southern California's Orange County Bureau Chief this month awarded Stephanie Marcado the first Vikki Vargas Broadcast Journalism Scholarship toward her education with the Cal State Fullerton College of Communication.
Mercado is part of the class of 2014 majoring in broadcast journalism with a minor in international studies.
The $1,000 Vikki Vargas Broadcast Journalism Scholarship will be distributed annually to one deserving broadcast journalist student.
Vargas, a graduate of Cal State Fullerton, awarded Marcado the scholarship at Cal State Fullerton's School of Communications Scholarship reception on Friday, May 11 at the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda.
The scholarship was established and funded by Vikki Vargas and NBC4 to recognize and honor students in broadcast journalism who have demonstrated outstanding academic performance.
Vargas has long been with the Los Angeles affiliate of NBC as a reporter and in recent years, the Orange County Bureau Chief for KNBC. Prior to KNBC, she has also worked for KOCE in Huntington Beach, Calif., and KESQ in Palm Springs, Calif. She currently lives in Orange County.
Most Popular Stories
- The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, Tenn., John Beifuss column
- Cabot Street Cinema in Beverly for sale
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Will Yahoo Splurge on $1-Billion acquisition of Tumblr?
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Travel Startup Localeur Expands to Houston
- Google Fiber Making an Impact
- Jolie Mastectomy Raises Legal Questions
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Return of Khan?