The Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme-park attraction is to open at Universal Studios Japan in late 2014, it was announced Thursday.
The plans were revealed by Universal Studios Japan, Warner Bros. and Universal Parks & Resorts. Actors James and Oliver Phelps, who played Fred and George Weasley in the Harry Potter film franchise, were also on hand for the announcement.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter rides and shops opened at Florida's Universal Orlando Resort nearly two years ago and have been a huge hit.
"I was delighted to experience and enjoy the attention to detail, creativity and superb craft that went into the first Wizarding World in Orlando. I am equally delighted that the same level of expertise and enjoyment will translate to the new park in Japan," said J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter fantasy novels, in a statement.
"Harry Potter, the most wonderful and amazing story of our time, is coming to Universal Studios Japan," said Glenn Gumpel, president and CEO of USJ. "USJ is thrilled to be chosen to make the Harry Potter experience come alive for the people of Japan. USJ is committed to being the world's best theme park and by bringing this brilliant story to Japan and creating a fantastic experience is yet another validation of that commitment. USJ will recreate to the highest level of authenticity, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, created by Universal Studios in Orlando, which has been enjoyed and cherished by millions and millions of Universal Orlando's guests."
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- House Shelves Immigration Bill, Goes on Vacation
- Ford Tremor: Easy to Park, Hard to Pay For
- What Hamas and Israel Hope to Gain in Gaza
- Notorious RBG Tells All in Couric Interview
- Why Samsung Shares Plunged in the April-June Quarter
- House GOP Leaders Abandon Immigrant Bill
- NASA Plans to Make Oxygen on Mars
- Market Loses All of July's Gains in One Day
- Wisconsin Supreme Court: Voter IDs Must Be Free