Giada De Laurentiis, glamorous family cook and Food Network star, will do a live show at the Riverside Theater on Friday, as part of a nationwide promotion for her new book, "Weeknights With Giada."
De Laurentiis earned a place in the Food Network's roster of big-name stars with her quick, Italian-inspired meals. Her first show, a daytime cooking show called "Everyday Italian," started airing in 2002 and later won an Emmy. Her first foray into prime time was "Giada's Weekend Getaways," which began airing on the Food Network in 2007. She also has been a judge on the reality series "The Next Food Network Star." Her new show, "Giada at Home," broadcasts at 10:30 a.m. on Saturdays.
De Laurentiis is the granddaughter of filmmaker Dino De Laurentiis, who produced "Barbarella," "Three Days of the Condor," "Orca," "The Dead Zone," "Dune," "Manhunter" and "Red Dragon," among many others. She grew up in Rome, spending many hours in her grandfather's restaurant, DDL Foodshow. She graduated with a degree in anthropology from the University of California, Los Angeles before deciding to pursue her first love, cooking, at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris. Back in California she worked in the Fine Dining Room of the Ritz-Carlton and at Wolfgang Puck's famous restaurant, Spago, and then opened her own catering company, GDL Foods.
"A Conversation With Giada De Laurentiis" starts at 8 p.m. Friday (doors open at 7 p.m.) at the Riverside, 116 W. Wisconsin Ave. Tickets are $42.50. Each ticket includes a signed copy of "Weeknights With Giada." For more information, call Next Chapter Bookshop, (262) 241-6220 or see pabsttheater.org/show/nextchaptergiada .
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Michael Bloomberg Takes Aim at the NRA
- Brands Get Caught in Bitter-Tweet Traps
- U.S. Job Market Still Needs Fed Stimulus: Yellen
- Dems in Energy States Back Away From Obama
- Depp, Pfister Are Tech Philosophers
- Man Arrested After Driving Stolen Car to Court Hearing
- U.S. Housing Starts up in March After Bitter Winter