To tag someone on Facebook means essentially what it meant in grade school: You're it. But in this case, "it" means that another user has designated a status update or post as pertaining to you.
While tagging brings an item to the attention of another user, it also serves to extend your reach beyond your network and into the network of the person or brand you tag -- in other words, it helps you reach more people.
Here's how Facebook users can make use of the feature:
-- Visit your own profile at facebook.com.
-- Begin typing your status update.
-- When ready to mention the person you wish to tag, type "@" and without adding a space, begin typing his or her name. You will see a list of choices populate automatically. Select the correct user by clicking the name of the person you wish to tag.
-- Continue typing the rest of your status update as normal.
-- Click "post." Once your status update appears, you have posted to your profile, as well as to the profile of the person you tagged (unless he or she has specifically changed settings to restrict tagging by other users).
For example, to tag your colleague Joe Smith in a status update in which you are congratulating him on winning an award, you'd type something like, "For winning this year's Best Widget Inventor Award, congratulations to my colleague, @Joe Smith."
As soon as you started typing "Joe Smith," you'd see a drop-down menu appear with other names that begin or contain similar letters. Upon clicking the correct Joe Smith from the list, you will see that the "@" symbol disappears and his name turns light blue.
Upon hitting "post," your offer of congratulations will appear on your wall for your network to see, as well as on the wall of your colleague -- thereby reaching a whole new set of Facebook users.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women