The United States Hispanic Leadership Institute (USHLI) took its Student Leadership Series to Cleveland last week and over more than 850 students, teachers, counselors and administrators attended.
The event's featured speaker was Ernesto Mejia from Chicago and was hosted by Lincoln West High School.
In attendance were superintendents who came from surrounding schools to observe the program and meet with Mejia to discuss their inclusion in the series during the 2012-13 school year, according to USHLI.
The USHLI Student Leadership series kicked off in February during the 30th annual national conference in Chicago.
Related Story: "USHLI Kicks off its National Conference in Chicago"
Joining Mejia on the program were Shani Garza who conducted breakout sessions on how to finance your post-secondary education or training, and Joey Negron who conducted breakout sessions on leadership, reports the nonprofit.
"We were pleased to partner with the USHLI. The career and college recruitment fair they hosted provided significant value for not only our Latino population, but all students exploring their post-secondary education options," said Dr. Irene Javier, the principal at Lincoln-West. "The cultural alignment between their organization and our student population enhanced the partnership even more."
Related Story: "USHLI and GM Team To Raise Funds for Hispanic Students"
The Student Leadership Series is designed for students in grades 6 to 12, college students, parents and educators.
To help USHLI's efforts, supporters can purchase a raffle ticket to win a General Motors donated 2012 Verano. Tickets cost $100 and can be purchased with a check or credit card by calling USHLI at (312) 427-8683. The raffle ticket sales end July 15, and the winner will be announced at USHLI's Annual Dinner on August 16.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time