Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney said his staff made an "April Fool" out of him by directing him to speak to an empty room in Wisconsin.
Romney told the Milwaukee crowd at the Bluemound Gardens event space Sunday his staff had directed him earlier in the morning to an identical room that was devoid of people, ABC News reported Monday.
U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan and U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, both Wisconsin Republicans on hand to introduce Romney, were in on the joke.
"You know it's April Fools' Day. I forgot. They turned me into the April Fool this morning, those guys. Your senator, your congressman," Romney said. "Downstairs is a room just like this one, and it was all set up."
The New York Times reported Romney's staff filmed the prank and it would later be posted online.
"So not only did they do that, but they caught it on camera," Romney said. "You guys -- this is known as forgive but remember. I'll tell you. We're gonna remember this. Look, I appreciate you being here. Thank heavens we've got some people in the room this morning. I appreciate it!"
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- GM to Stop Making Autos in Australia
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- It's Primary Time in Texas
- How to Survive a Subzero Stranding
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia