Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney said his staff made an "April Fool" out of him by directing him to speak to an empty room in Wisconsin.
Romney told the Milwaukee crowd at the Bluemound Gardens event space Sunday his staff had directed him earlier in the morning to an identical room that was devoid of people, ABC News reported Monday.
U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan and U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, both Wisconsin Republicans on hand to introduce Romney, were in on the joke.
"You know it's April Fools' Day. I forgot. They turned me into the April Fool this morning, those guys. Your senator, your congressman," Romney said. "Downstairs is a room just like this one, and it was all set up."
The New York Times reported Romney's staff filmed the prank and it would later be posted online.
"So not only did they do that, but they caught it on camera," Romney said. "You guys -- this is known as forgive but remember. I'll tell you. We're gonna remember this. Look, I appreciate you being here. Thank heavens we've got some people in the room this morning. I appreciate it!"
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say