El Paso beat Buffalo-Niagra, N.Y., by 466 votes Tuesday in Facebook voting to advance to the next round of competition for cities vying to host the November Social Media Tourism Symposium, or SoMe.
The symposium, in its third year, draws about 250 people.
El Paso had 8,175 votes, and Buffalo-Niagra had 7,709 votes in the two-day Facebook voting.
The El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau's symposium bid now goes to round three, beginning at 10 a.m. Monday. El Paso will face the winner of the Knoxville, Tenn.-Cleveland matchup, which ends today.
To vote Monday, El Pasoans can go to facebook.com/SoMeTourism and "like" it, and then follow directions to vote.
Most Popular Stories
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column