The tests are over--let the cheese-powdery eating begin! Taco Bell's latest taco, the Doritos Locos Taco, is a bit of a Frankenstein creation, even debuting on Wednesday at the stroke of midnight. Taco Bell's Doritos Locos Tacos merge one of America's favorite chip brands, Doritos, with Taco Bell's signature offering, the taco. Simply, the taco shell is a giant Doritos chip, containing the usual Taco Bell taco goodness (ground beef, lettuce, cheese) inside its crunchy, orange-dusted shell.
Doritos Locos Tacos are available at Taco Bell restaurants nationwide with a suggested retail price $1.29; a Doritos Taco Supreme is available for a suggested $1.69 and includes reduced-fat sour cream and diced tomato. The two types of Doritos Locos Tacos nutrition scores come in at 170 calories/9 grams of fat and 200 calories/11 grams of fat respectively. The Doritos Locos Tacos are also available "Fresco Style," shaving some of the calories and fat off; these versions are 140 calories/7 grams of fat for the regular and 150 calories and 7 grams of fat for the Supreme.
The Doritos shell of the Doritos Locos Tacos are "Nacho Cheese" flavor, but the company says it plans to roll out a "Cool Ranch" version in the fall.
Taco Bell Corp. is a subsidiary of Yum! Brands, Inc., (NYSE: YUM).
Frito-Lay North America, the maker of Doritos, is a unit of PepsiCo (NYSE: PEP).
Most Popular Stories
- Social Media Campaign Increases Organ Donor Registrations
- Airport Garners Social Media Award
- What Will Happen When Quantitative Easing Ends?
- MillerCoors Taps New Hispanic Ad Agency
- Aetna Leaving California's Individual Health Insurance Market
- Immigration Reform Would Decrease U.S. Budget Deficit
- Calories Count: Starbucks to Post the Numbers on Menu Boards
- Honda Says Sorry About the Lack of Electric Fits
- Patriots' Aaron Hernandez Questioned in Slaying
- President Obama Hints at Bernanke Exit