British pop star Elton John says he could have "ended up like Whitney Houston" if he hadn't kicked his drug habit in 1990.
Houston drowned Feb. 11 in a hotel bathtub after using cocaine. She was 48.
"I could have so easily ended up like Whitney Houston," John told E! News Thursday.
"It's a miracle I didn't," the 65-year-old singer said. "Because I'm sure I did as much cocaine as she ever did."
John chalked his recovery up to the willpower to take back his life.
"I would not be the person I am today [if I hadn't]," he said. "I wouldn't have [my son] Zachary, [my husband] David [Furnish]. I wouldn't have anything. I'd probably be dead."
Most Popular Stories
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill
- Maui Visitor Killed in Shark Attack
- Donors Abandon GOP Over Gun Stance
- Mexico: 'Extremely Dangerous' Radioactive Material Stolen
- CEOs More Optimistic About Economy, Hiring
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged
- Private Sector Employment Surges by 215,000 Jobs
- Newtown 911 Tapes Being Released Today
- Wisconsin Gov. Campaign Aide Fired Over Tweets