British pop star Elton John says he could have "ended up like Whitney Houston" if he hadn't kicked his drug habit in 1990.
Houston drowned Feb. 11 in a hotel bathtub after using cocaine. She was 48.
"I could have so easily ended up like Whitney Houston," John told E! News Thursday.
"It's a miracle I didn't," the 65-year-old singer said. "Because I'm sure I did as much cocaine as she ever did."
John chalked his recovery up to the willpower to take back his life.
"I would not be the person I am today [if I hadn't]," he said. "I wouldn't have [my son] Zachary, [my husband] David [Furnish]. I wouldn't have anything. I'd probably be dead."
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women