The U.S. House's National Republican Congressional Committee's independent expenditures unit will be led by a female Hispanic, a first, officials said.
NRCC officials said Joanna Burgos will direct the committee's independent expenditures arm, Todd Johnson will be the IE research director and Trent Wisecup will consult on California races, Roll Call reported Wednesday.
The announcement completes key staffing for the four congressional campaign committees.
"If the IE director doesn't possess great political judgment ... all your hopes are dashed, and your committee has raised millions of dollars for no reason," said Curt Anderson, a long-time Republican consultant who has run IE units twice. "It's a very high-stakes game."
Burgos, a communications professional from Miami, spent the past two election cycles as a top aide in the NRCC's media relations. She was lead strategist and national press secretary for the 2008 Republican National Convention.
"We'll have contrasting dynamics colliding in just one election with an unpopular president up for re-election, our economy still struggling, many members who are still new to their constituents and the ramifications of redistricting," Burgos said.
Wisecup's appointment indicates the importance Republicans are placing on California races, observers told Roll Call. His experience includes advising former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, as well as advising former e-Bay CEO Meg Whitman's gubernatorial campaign, and consulting on re-election races for members across the country.
Johnson began his NRCC career as a research analyst for two cycles before becoming deputy research director in 2010.
Most Popular Stories
- The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, Tenn., John Beifuss column
- Cabot Street Cinema in Beverly for sale
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Will Yahoo Splurge on $1-Billion acquisition of Tumblr?
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Travel Startup Localeur Expands to Houston
- Google Fiber Making an Impact
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Return of Khan?
- Jolie Mastectomy Raises Legal Questions