The vernal equinox, or spring equinox 2012, occurred this morning, March 20, 2012, at 1:14 a.m. EDT. The equinox is the exact moment when the sun appears directly over the equator. The vernal equinox leads into the official first day of spring 2012.
An equinox represents one of two times per year that the day and night are approximately of equal length; from here on, we can welcome longer days and shorter nights until the next equinox, the autumnal equinox on September 22, 2012.
Now that spring has sprung, we can expect warming temperatures, blooming flowers, and, unfortunately for some poor souls, the onslaught of allergies.
Most Popular Stories
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- The News & Advance, Lynchburg, Va., Casey Gillis column
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Haitian music, culture take center stage at Compas Fest
- Gillian Anderson is fired up in 'The Fall', but Whicher is suspiciously dull ; The former 'X-Files' star channels her inner Helen Mirren in a new crime drama set in Belfast
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'