Sara Lee released additional details about the long-anticipated spinoff of its international coffee and tea business Friday, following receipt of a Private Letter Ruling from the Internal Revenue Service. The business will be headquartered in Amsterdam, and shareholders will receive a $3 dividend at the time of the split.
The Downers Grove-based company is moving its North American business, focused on retail meats, to Chicago.
"We are very pleased to reach this major milestone in our spin-off process and to provide our shareholders with additional news about the domiciling of the Coffee & Tea company and the payment of the $3dividend," Sara Lee Executive Chairman Jan Bennink said in a statement. "With over 250 years of history, the Coffee & Tea business has solid market positions and deep roots in many European markets. Domiciling Coffee & Tea in the Netherlands allows management to be close to its key Western European markets and effectively manage its global portfolio."
The coffee and tea business includes the Senseo brand and others. The spinoff is projected to distribute $4.55 billion in stock.
As part of its ruling, the company said the IRS has approved key elements of its proposed tax-free spin-off. As a result, Sara Lee expects to remove $700 million in deferred tax liabilities from its balance sheet.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column