U.S. Hispanics are tweeting, retweeting, posting, liking and uploading more than any other ethnic group.
Known to be a culture that has plenty to say and share, the new eMarketer study is right on the money when it comes to Hispanics.
According to the eMarketer's February 2012 "American Pulse Survey" from BIGinsight of US adult internet usage found that, "while greater percentages of black internet users spent larger blocks of time online than the other groups studied, Hispanic internet users spent more of their online time on social media sites."
Moreover, the survey found that "on an average day, 26.8 percent of Hispanic internet users spent six hours or more on social media sites, while 20.4 percent of black internet users and only 8.5 percent of total internet users spent that much time on social sites."
For the freshest and latest news about Hispanics and social media, follow @LATISM--Latinos in Social Media.
In 2011, LATISM released "BlogoSphere Survey 2011," which found that
* 61 percent of Hispanics use social media for personal purposes, followed by business, self promotion and for doing social good.
* The top three blogging topics are Latino Issues (45 percent), followed by Social Good and Education.
* The mayority (48 percent) prefer to shop online.
* Price is the biggest driver at the time of purchase.
* Their reasons for blogging vary by individual, but a common thread is their deep connection to their community and their faith in the power of blogging as a tool for change.
Another great resource to track Hispanics in social media is Hispanicize. Hispanicize 2012 (now in its third year) will be held in Miami from April 10 through April 13.
Topics include: "Blogging for a cause: How Latino bloggers are using social media to champion a good cause," and The rules of engagement 2012: How brands and their agencies can effectively, ethically and comprehensively collaborate with Latino bloggers." * The overwhelming majority described Education as the top priority Latino issue, followed by Health and Jobs.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief