Three decades after it was politically spooked from being filmed in Miami -- the city that serves as its backdrop -- "Scarface" is returning to the Magic City in an over-the-top style event worthy of Tony Montana.
On, April 13, Hispanicize 2012 and Being Latino will team up to bring an unprecedented screening of "Scarface" presented by Hatuey Cuban-style ale to an oceanside mansion benefit for ArtesMiami Inc., a South Florida nonprofit organization dedicated to developing South Florida as a cultural center with a special focus on Hispanic culture.
The iconic Miami Beach mansion, Villa Vecchia, is set to host the unique benefit (see the mansion at http://bit.ly/AvMM4u). A parody promotional video produced by Digibunch is available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCXAkEvFL5U.
The screening will also serve as the closing night event of Hispanicize 2012, the annual Latino trends event for social media, marketing, media and entertainment that's being held April 10-13.
As part of the event, "Scarface" stars Steven Bauer ("Manolo"), Pepe Serna ("Angel") and Angel Salazar ("Chi Chi") will make a special appearance to talk about the classic film that, ironically, could not be filmed in Miami in the early '80s due to local political tensions at the time.
"A gorgeous mansion, Steven Bauer, Pepe Serna, Angel Salazar, awesome Cuban food and everything wrapped around a good cause -- this is the only way to properly pay tribute to Scarface," said Hispanicize 2012 event organizer and creative director Manny Ruiz.
Admission to the "Scarface" event will be restricted to Hispanicize 2012 sponsors, VIPs, filmmakers, media, Latino bloggers and 25 lucky attendees of the four-day event.
Among this year's film showcase highlights are six feature-length films, one of which will win a $10,000 grand prize, and several dozen short films, one of which will earn a $5,000 grand prize.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise