A diabolical dog, a weak-willed husband, a dead cat and a spicy snack.
Now there's a winning combination -- when it comes to Super Bowl ads.
Winning as in $1 million.
That's the bonus Doritos will pay Kevin T. Willson, a graphic artist and musician, because his "consumer created" spot reached No. 1 on USA Today's annual Super Bowl Ad Meter.
In the ad, a Great Dane, burying something, bribes a man with Doritos to keep his mouth shut. When the wife asks, "Honey, have you seen our cat?" the dog appears at the back door with a fresh bag, and the man slyly says, "Nope." (See the ad at http://bit.ly/xxOxgP.)
Willson spent just $20 to make the ad -- for treats to get a friend's Great Dane to keep posing, according to Doritos.
TiVo also ranked the ad No. 1, based on viewers' behaviors with the company's playback service.
But wait. Checking the late-morning ranking on the USA Today list, a different ad took over the No. 1 spot -- "Sling Baby," another consumer-created Doritos ad, in which a grandma slingshots a baby toward a teasing brat to snatch away a bag of chips.
"Doritos: Man's Best Friends" had fallen to third, behind a Bud Light ad about a rescue dog named Weego, who fetches beer everytime someone says, "Here, Weego."
TiVo's No. 2 was the M&Ms "Ms. Brown" ad -- about a talking candy mistakenly thought to be naked because her shell is chocolate colored, "Sling Baby" was third, followed by a Pepsi ad featuring X Factor winner Melanie Amaro dropping King Elton John into a dungeon.
The M&Ms ad was fourth in USA Today's poll, followed by "Volkswagen: Dog Strikes Back" -- about a heavy pooch that works out and diets to finally fit through the dog door and go chase cars. That was also TiVo's No. 5.
More USA Today rankings:
(6) Skechers: Go Run (Bulldog backs over finish line)
(7) Kia: A Dream Car. For Real Life. (Sandman-induced fantasies)
(8) Audi: Vampire Party (Daylight headlights vaporize ghouls)
(9) Chevy: Silverado (post-apocalypse survivors)
(10) Dannon Oikos: The Best Yogurt (John Stamos gets head butted)
The rest of TiVo's Top 10:
(6) NFL New Fantasy Game "Win a Million Bucks"
(7) Acura NSX "Seinfeld" (Flying Jay Leno steal's Jerry's deal)
(8) Fiat 500 "Supermodel" (Man sees car, thinks sexy woman)
(9) Chevy Camaro "Happy Grad" (Son mistakes neighbor's car for a gift)
(10) E*Trade Baby "Fatherhood" (Hospital nursery with "speed dating" joke)
Here's the Great Dane ad:
Most Popular Stories
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Apple Said to Duck Billions in Taxes
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion