The United Farm Workers (UFW) has announced honorary co-chairs for the yearlong 50th anniversary of the UFW, the organization said in a news release.
The list includes entertainers, public officials, dignitaries and Hispanic national leaders. Helen Chavez, widow of UFW co-founder Cesar Chavez, will lead the group of co-chairs.
Entertainers named as co-chairs include actors Eva Longoria, Diego Luna, Tony Plana, Lupe Ontiveros, Martin Sheen, America Ferrera, Danny Glover, Ed Begley Jr., Edward James Olmos, Benito Martinez, screenwriter Keir Pearson, and musical superstars Kris Kristofferson and Taboo Gomez of the Black-Eyed Peas,
Public officials named as co-chairs include U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.; U.S. Rep. Howard Berman D-Calif.; U.S. Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.; California Senate President pro tem Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento; and California Speaker of the Assembly John Perez, D-Los Angeles.
Dignitaries named as co-chairs include Rabbi Steven B. Jacobs; Cardinal Roger Mahony, Archdiocese of Los Angeles; Henry Cisneros, executive chairman, CityView; and Robert Ross, president and CEO, The California Endowment.
National Hispanic leaders named as co-chairs include Janet Murguia, president and CEO of the National Council of La Raza; Thomas A. Saenz, president, Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund; and Arturo Vargas, executive director, National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials.
In addition to lending their respective name to the celebration, UFW honorary co-chairs will attend one of the many celebrations, as well as assist with promotions and overall support.
"We are honored to have such a distinguished group of individuals step up to support the organization, many of which have historically supported the UFW throughout the past 50 years," said UFW President Arturo Rodriguez.
The UFW is the oldest Latino organization to come out of the 1960s civil rights movement and the largest farmworker organization in America. The UFW's 2012 commemorative events schedule includes the 50th Anniversary Convention May 17-20 in Bakersfield, Calif., a summer concert series and a historic star-studded concert scheduled this fall.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- GM Recall Poses First Major Test for New CEO
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict