The League of United Latin American Citizens recognized at its 15th annual LULAC National Legislative Conference's awards gala key leaders who have served the Hispanic community. The conference was held Feb. 15-16 in Washington, D.C.
At the gala, LULA presented a Legislative Award to Rep. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., assistant majority leader in the House, and Jorge A. Santini Padilla, mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico. The Presidential Award was presented to Joaquin Avila, director of the National Voting Rights Advocacy Initiative at Seattle University School of Law.
Members of Congress in attendance included, Rep. Steny H. Hoyer, D-Md., Democratic whip; Rep. John D. Dingall, D-Mi.; Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Texas; Rep. Al Green, D-Texas; Del. Eleanor Holms Norton, D-D.C.; Rep. John Lewis, D-GA; Rep. Ben Ray Lujan, D-N.M.; Rep. Lucille Roybal Allard, D-Calif.; Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas; Rep. Joe Baca, D-Calif.; and Rep. John Conyers, D-Mi.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women