The League of United Latin American Citizens recognized at its 15th annual LULAC National Legislative Conference's awards gala key leaders who have served the Hispanic community. The conference was held Feb. 15-16 in Washington, D.C.
At the gala, LULA presented a Legislative Award to Rep. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., assistant majority leader in the House, and Jorge A. Santini Padilla, mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico. The Presidential Award was presented to Joaquin Avila, director of the National Voting Rights Advocacy Initiative at Seattle University School of Law.
Members of Congress in attendance included, Rep. Steny H. Hoyer, D-Md., Democratic whip; Rep. John D. Dingall, D-Mi.; Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Texas; Rep. Al Green, D-Texas; Del. Eleanor Holms Norton, D-D.C.; Rep. John Lewis, D-GA; Rep. Ben Ray Lujan, D-N.M.; Rep. Lucille Roybal Allard, D-Calif.; Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas; Rep. Joe Baca, D-Calif.; and Rep. John Conyers, D-Mi.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine
- NSHMBA to Rebrand With New Name, Logo