The League of United Latin American Citizens recognized at its 15th annual LULAC National Legislative Conference's awards gala key leaders who have served the Hispanic community. The conference was held Feb. 15-16 in Washington, D.C.
At the gala, LULA presented a Legislative Award to Rep. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., assistant majority leader in the House, and Jorge A. Santini Padilla, mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico. The Presidential Award was presented to Joaquin Avila, director of the National Voting Rights Advocacy Initiative at Seattle University School of Law.
Members of Congress in attendance included, Rep. Steny H. Hoyer, D-Md., Democratic whip; Rep. John D. Dingall, D-Mi.; Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Texas; Rep. Al Green, D-Texas; Del. Eleanor Holms Norton, D-D.C.; Rep. John Lewis, D-GA; Rep. Ben Ray Lujan, D-N.M.; Rep. Lucille Roybal Allard, D-Calif.; Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas; Rep. Joe Baca, D-Calif.; and Rep. John Conyers, D-Mi.
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Earthlike Planet Found in Red Dwarf's Goldilocks Zone
- Salsa Legend Cheo Feliciano Killed in Car Crash
- Twitter Offers App Install Ads
- Natural Gas Shoots Up on Bullish Stockpile Report
- Hiring and Weekly Jobless Claims Both Edge Up
- Chipotle Plans First Price Rise in 3 Years
- Generating Solar Power in the Dark