The League of United Latin American Citizens recognized at its 15th annual LULAC National Legislative Conference's awards gala key leaders who have served the Hispanic community. The conference was held Feb. 15-16 in Washington, D.C.
At the gala, LULA presented a Legislative Award to Rep. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., assistant majority leader in the House, and Jorge A. Santini Padilla, mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico. The Presidential Award was presented to Joaquin Avila, director of the National Voting Rights Advocacy Initiative at Seattle University School of Law.
Members of Congress in attendance included, Rep. Steny H. Hoyer, D-Md., Democratic whip; Rep. John D. Dingall, D-Mi.; Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Texas; Rep. Al Green, D-Texas; Del. Eleanor Holms Norton, D-D.C.; Rep. John Lewis, D-GA; Rep. Ben Ray Lujan, D-N.M.; Rep. Lucille Roybal Allard, D-Calif.; Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas; Rep. Joe Baca, D-Calif.; and Rep. John Conyers, D-Mi.
Most Popular Stories
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Can GOP Dodge Immigration Bullet?
- Photo ID Required for Unemployment Benefits
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Tech Firms to Increase Hiring for 4th Year in a Row
- Job Fair for S.C. Grads
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- How Past Mistakes Will Drive Ukraine's Future
- Millennials Favor Saving Over Investing: UBS
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California