Jay Osmond has been singing professionally since he was 5 years old. As one of the Osmond Brothers, he's joining brothers Merrill and Jimmy to bring more than 50 years of honed performance to Niswonger Performing Arts on Thursday.
"Our grandfather saw early on that we were able to sing," Osmond said in a phone interview this week with The Lima News. "He sent a tape of our song to the Lawrence Welk Show, and we went to California to interview for that show."
After waiting a long time, they were told by Welk's people that the interview wouldn't happen.
"Our dad said that we weren't going to make this trip a bad one, we were going to Disneyland. So, still dressed in our matching barbershop jackets, we went to Disneyland," he said.
There, an impromptu street serenade landed them a meeting with Walt Disney, and the rest is musical history.
Over the years, the musical family grew with members learning to play several different instruments, dance, write music and perfect their stage skills. They have sold more than 100 million records, earning them more than 53 gold and platinum records and countless awards.
These days they continue to tour, and keep fresh by performing in stage productions as well as television.
"We have to keep reinventing ourselves. Our fans are wonderful and we want to keep our fan base happy so we stay current," Jay said.
He also appreciates the opportunity of working closely with his family.
"It has its moments, but it's been a wonderful blessing to me over the years. We're just good buddies. That's not saying that we never have problems, but we have to work them out."
And that closeness with his brothers leads to some of his favorite times on stage.
"They used to call us the one-take Osmonds because we practiced everything until it was perfect, and we only needed one take. For me, the best part now of our concerts are when we have the little goof-ups. We have a good time on stage, we like to get the audience involved, and we like to have fun ourselves," Jay added.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women